Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Day 2 Clean Eating Grandma

Since I was gone from home yesterday from early morning until late at night, I am writing about day 2 on the morning of day 3. That works, right? Yesterday Jeff and I went up north to play with our cute grandkids so their mama could go to a family wedding. For those of you who are not aware, being a grandma is a blast. I highly recommend you get yourself some grandchildren. I tried to make sure I was prepared and took my shakes and things with me. I did think I'd be home by mid-afternoon, which did not turn out to be the case, but I got by.

I read my scriptures and drank my detox tea in the car. No, I was not driving! Reading about Alma and Amulek  gave me so much strength for the day. How thankful I am for the Book of Mormon. My lovely headache flared up again when I woke up, so I had a fizzy stick when we got there and it helped. One thing I need to note, I was hungrier yesterday morning than I expected. But, after my morning shake, I was fine. Can I just say here how much I love my VitaMix? I borrowed my daughter's Ninja blender to make my morning shake and the spinach and coconut oil were quite chunky. Ummmm, not a fan of chunky smoothies! Haha! But I chugged it and lived to tell the tale. Within about 2 hours I was a little hungry again, which I attribute to my grandmothering like a boss. A handful of raw almonds and a lemon fit chew helped a lot and I was good again. It's so great though because my energy stayed really level. I didn't have any peaks and valleys and the hunger was not bad. My headache had calmed and I played store, avoided the hot lava on the living room floor, barked like a seal, cuddled the baby, and colored on the walls of the bathtub and shower all while feeling amazing. By the way, where DO you get those cool bathtub crayons?

That pesky headache returned right as I was leaving and so I drank another fizzy stick as we drove Jeff to work and then I ran back to my mom's which is only 15 minutes from Jeff's office. I made my second smoothie with mom's magic bullet. She didn't have much spinach so I put a lot of parsley in it. This time it was even chunkier and more strange looking. Once again I bravely gulped it down and began to feel better. Two hours later I felt true hunger and ate almonds again and another fit chew. Due to my late night followed by my early morning, I was pretty sleepy by 5, so I stretched out on mom's couch and had a snooze while she read me a pamphlet extolling the virtues of tumeric. 30 minutes later the clock chime woke me up and to my amazement, mom was still reading to me about this extraordinary supplement. Who knew there was so much to say about tumeric?

Now, because I thought I would go home after I dropped Jeff off, I did not have my food for dinner. It's supposed to be a half a plate of greens, with clean protein on 1/4 of the plate and then high quality carbohydrates on a 6th of the plate. At this moment I can't remember what the last thing was supposed to be. Probably a healthy fat. Anyway, Mom didn't have any stuff for that so she let me use her Arbonne shake mix, fiber, greens, and organic frozen berries. I was quite nervous to taste it because my past experience with powdered greens was not good. Whenever I drank them down, they immediately returned the way they'd gone. But, mixed with everything else, I barely noticed them, and that smoothie was quite good. I also ate some more nuts and a fit chew. I picked Jeff up from work at 11 and we drove home. I then understood why they recommend you eat a meal and not just have another shake. I was hungry, it was midnight, and I knew I couldn't sleep being that hungry so I ate a tiny portion of legumes. Now, you're supposed to have 12 hours between dinner and your morning shake, but, you're also supposed to get good sleep, so I hope I made the right choice. By the way, this morning I feel fine and am not as hungry as yesterday, and my headache is gone.

So, I did learn a few things that I will do different next time I'm going to be gone. I will make my shakes at home and take them with me in a cooler. I will either pack food or follow Jocelyn's awesome advice and get a Cafe Rio chicken salad without the rice and dressing but with extra guacamole and extra pico de gallo.  All in all, I feel good about yesterday, but will definitely cleanse and detox better today. I'm so excited to make Jocelyn's chili recipe. I think I will keep that on hand so I can take it with me when I'm on the run.

No comments:

Post a Comment